Ph.D., Physics, University of California Los Angeles 2004
Department of Physics and Astronomy
University of Iowa, 505 Van Allen Hall
Phone: 319-335-1221, FAX: 319-335-1753
Email: gregory-howes [at] uiowa.edu
Home page: http://www.physics.uiowa.edu/~ghowes
I am presently an Assistant Professor in the Department of Physics and Astronomy at the University of Iowa. Before coming to Iowa in 2008, I completed a a four-year postdoc as an Assistant Professional Research Astronomer in the Department of Astronomy at the University of California, Berkeley.
Honors and awards
- Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineerings (PECASE), 2010, given by the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy after a nomination by NASA.
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award, 2011-2016.
Kinetic plasma turbulence is my primary research interest, with an emphasis on high-performance computational studies of turbulence in space and astrophysical plasmas. I am the lead scientist on development of AstroGK, a new gyrokinetic simulation code for astrophysical plasmas.
Although my primary research direction is performing massively parallel, nonlinear gyrokinetic simulations to understand astrophysical turbulence more completely, I also work on the development of simplified analytical models to study the turbulent cascade of energy in kinetic turbulence and to examine the thermodynamics of the plasma in the solar wind. In addition to this, I work with scientists dedicated to designing, builiding, and operating instruments for satellite measurements of the turbulent plasmas in space, focusing in particular on analysis of satellite data. Finally, I am the prinicipal investigator for an experimental project to measure the fundamental interactions of plasma turbulence in the laboratory at the Large Plasma Device (LAPD) at UCLA.
- Toward Astrophysical Turbulence in the Laboratory, Howes, G. G., Drake, D. J., Nielson, K.D., Carter, T. A., Kletzing, C. A.,and Skiff, F. Phys. Rev. Lett., 109, 255001 (2012)
- The slow-mode nature of compressible wave power in solar wind turbulence, Howes, G. G., Bale, S. D., Klein, K. G., Chen, C. H. K., Salem, C. S., and TenBarge, J. M. Astrophys. J. Lett., 753, L19 (2012).
- A Weakened Cascade Model for Turbulence in Astrophysical Plasmas, Howes, G. G.,TenBarge, J. M., and Dorland, W., Phys. Plasmas, 18, 102305 (2011).
- Gyrokinetic Simulations of Solar Wind Turbulence from Ion to Electron Scales, Howes, G. G.,TenBarge, J. M., Dorland, W., Quataert, E., Schekochihin, A. A., Numata, R., and Tatsuno, T., Phys. Rev. Lett., 107, 035004 (2011).
- AstroGK: Astrophysical Gyrokinetics Code, Numata, R., Howes, G. G., Tatsuno, T., Barnes, M., and Dorland, W., J. Comp. Phys., 229, 9347 (2010).